The Indianapolis City County Council is allocating $16 million for more emergency road repairs on the city’s major thoroughfares caused by the harsh winter.
Members voted 25-4 in favor of doing so during Monday’s meeting.
The funds will pay for the rest of the $24 million in emergency needs identified by the Department of Public Works.
The council approved paying for the first third of those repairs last month.
The new round of money will come from the Transportation General and Fiscal Stability Funds, a move applauded by councilor Christine Scales.
"It shows that money going for this is prioritizing road resurfacing projects," she said. "That is money well spent and money that is needed to be spent."
But some councilors, including Aaron Freeman, see the $16 million as a "band aid."
He would rather the projects be paid for through Mayor Greg Ballard’s Rebuild Indy 2 plan.
"I would much rather vote for something that has more of an impact to make more of a difference for the citizens of this county," said Freeman. "We need Rebuild Indy 2. We need more money in roads and sidewalks and bridges."
The $350 million Rebuild Indy 2 proposal has drawn criticism because it requires a $150 million loan, but would pay for infrastructure projects around the city.
The funding approved by the council, Monday, only addresses priority thoroughfares.
Councilor Jeff Miller says the city now needs to come up with a plan to address problems on residential roads.
"This is that urgent thing to take care of the worst of the worst, but it doesn't solve the bigger problem," said Miller. "I urge this council body to come up with something. We simply can't just tell the neighborhoods 'you've got to wait and wait and wait.' They've waited for years and years."
DPW Director Lori Miser told the Council, Monday, that even though the money is approved for emergency repairs, work on the projects likely won’t begin until the end of summer or fall.