JOB TITLE: Broadcast Technician
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Exempt/Salaried
LOCATION: Indianapolis, IN
WFYI is seeking an experienced Broadcast Technician with strong technical and communication skills, along with a strong service orientation, to join the Technology and Broadcast Engineering team. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Broadcast Technician is responsible for design, installation, configuration, documentation, diagnostics, and system maintenance for on-air origination, production and post-production, media encoding, quality, disaster recovery, and all interconnecting data networks.
This role will be located in our downtown Indianapolis office with the expectation of weekday attendance. WFYI operates in a 24/7/365 environment, with some work required outside of regular business hours, as determined with supervisor.
- Ensure daily integrity and availability for all broadcast and production services.
- Install and/or update new and existing systems servers, hardware, services, peripherals, and storage in accordance with operational standards and guidelines.
- Maintain broadcast computer-based equipment software, hardware, and local area network applications on systems throughout the station.
- Proactively troubleshoot; On-Air, In Person, Telephone/Email Support, Control Room operations.
- Conduct tests and diagnostic evaluations.
- Make recommendations and solve technology problems, communicating complex principles in non-technical or everyday terms.
- Execute checklists to discover equipment and/or system anomalies.
- Install new components and systems.
- Create and update engineering documents and diagrams.
- Maintain a solid working knowledge of newly deployed technologies.
- Perform preventive maintenance and/or troubleshooting on a large variety of computer and electronic devices in-house or at remote locations; including but not limited to video equipment and/or audio switching equipment, processing and monitoring equipment, HD cameras, Fiber/ copper encoding, decoding and streaming equipment
- Work with vendor-partner to keep software versions up to date, ensure software license compliance and follow all corporate directives for IT security.
- Respond to trouble calls with broadcast or computer equipment (sometimes after normal business hours).
- Assist and advise in planning of future equipment installations, requirements, and budgetary recommendations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- 4+ years of experience in a similar hands-on technical Systems/Support/Engineering role.
- Must be knowledgeable in areas of technical production and repair, configuration, and operation with studio production equipment including Broadcast Audio, Video and Control Systems, Video Servers, Storage Area Networks, RF Systems, Editing, and Post-Production Systems.
- Proficiency and experience performing equipment and cable installations, soldering, crimping cable connectors, including cable documentation, labeling, post-installation commissioning and testing processes, etc.
- Strong IT skills including IP networking concepts and equipment, storage systems, redundant computer system concepts, administration, etc.
- Attention to detail and the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to lift and move broadcast equipment, power supplies, tools, etc.
- Knowledge of common business software applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 6+ years of experience in a similar hands-on technical Systems/Support/Engineering role.
- Technical or B.S./Electronics field or Engineering preferred, however various combinations of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience with public radio and television systems and non-commercial broadcasting.