Community Engagement Specialist-Education Reporting
Expected Close Date: 11/30/2020
This Community Engagement Specialist will be part of a new multi-person WFYI journalism team established to uncover, report, and aim a spotlight on systemic inequities in Indiana's public schools. It will be responsible for integrating the initiative into the work of other local public education community organizations and for engaging with community members about public education throughout Indiana. WFYI is central Indiana's leading non-commercial media outlet and NPR and PBS station; it has founded, supported, and worked with award-winning local, statewide, regional, and national journalism and community engagement initiatives.
- Coordinates and facilitates education-related opportunities for conversations, with the goal of gathering information from the community about important issues to inform WFYI education reporting content.
- Coordinate engagement efforts with health and other CE team members where opportunities exist.
- Convenes and participates in Education-related community meetings and events, to build relationships and support partnerships, and to understand work occurring around the community.
- With oversight from Community Engagement leadership and working closely with the Managing Education Editor, helps set community impact goals for the journalism initiative and inform strategies for assessment of progress against goals and supports assessment process. Contribute to the station dashboard.
- Fosters meaningful education-related partnerships by identifying and participating in opportunities to support city-wide and state-wide collective impact initiatives, specially where opportunities exist for examining equity issues.
- Values, contributes to, and sustains WFYIs commitment to a culture of belonging that sees our cultures history of power and privilege and seeks to balance that with inclusion of many diverse experiences and perspectives.
- Listens with intention to identify ways in which WFYI may utilize its education-related resources in order give voice to the community, build awareness, and deepen understanding of common themes.
- Participate on the Community Engagement team to help develop overall station engagement strategy and build relationships.
- Assist the Volunteer Manager in developing opportunities for service within the reporting initiative.
- Seek opportunities to participate in station development, governance, and event activities.
- Identifies and participates in marketing opportunities at community events, and internally, in order to raise awareness of station education efforts.
- College degree and at least two years experience in a non-profit, collaborative environment.
- Background in public education, social or education sciences or social work preferred.
- Experience connecting and collaborating with community organizations and individuals with an eye on equity.
- Background in journalism is preferred.
- Understanding of and passion for public media.
- Aptitude for identifying and working collaboratively with community partners to discover, understand, and address community needs and aspirations.
- Excellent written, oral, and team communication skills, including attention to detail.
- Ability to participate in multiple projects and partnerships in a changing environment.
- Flexibility of schedule required, as position may include some travel throughout Indiana and some evening and weekend meetings and/or partnership events.
- Adept in social media and web skills. Possess strong computer skills, including Office, Excel, and web-based interactive software and applications.
- Possess initiative, creativity, and problem-solving skills.
- Operating with unquestionable integrity; collaborating with each other and with community partners; respecting everyone; serving with humility; embracing change; delivering excellence every day.
How to Apply
Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.