Community Engagement Specialist - Health
JOB TITLE: Community Engagement Specialist - Health
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Exempt/Salaried
LOCATION: Indianapolis, IN
This position is for an inclusive and collaborative person who will be part of the WFYI Community Engagement team and supports WFYI’s content goals. We desire to engage deeply with the community to inform content creation, including health reporting. You’ll gather feedback on issues of deep concern, share that with journalists and other content team members, and develop tools, resources, and distribution paths so that the community has the ability to improve outcomes, especially in the way it interacts with and is impacted by public health. You’ll work closely with issues outlined by WFYI’s Side Effects reporting desk and other content priorities, and you’ll also discover voices and viewpoints we should know about. And you’ll form partnerships and work in collaboration with other public health and community organizations to engage with community members about health throughout Indiana.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Seek, respond to, coordinate and facilitate health-related opportunities for listening and conversations, in person and virtually, to inform reporting and content creation.
- Convene and participate in health-related community meetings and events to build relationships and support partnerships, to understand work occurring in the community, and to build audience awareness.
- With oversight from Community Engagement leadership and working closely with the Side Effects Editor, help set direction for health reporting, while implementing tactics, data tracking, and grant deliverables.
- Participate on the Community Engagement team to help develop overall station engagement strategy and build relationships, including fostering meaningful local, community and state partnerships to inform content creation and support audience growth.
- Listen with intention to identify ways in which WFYI may utilize its resources in order give voice to underserved communities, build awareness, and deepen understanding of common themes.
- Collaborate on the creation of tools, resources, events, and other strategies to more deeply inform the community about public health needs.
- Assist the Volunteer Manager in developing opportunities for service within the reporting initiative.
- Participate in station marketing, development, governance, and event activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- College degree and at least two years’ experience in a non-profit, collaborative environment.
- Excellent written, oral, and team communication skills, including attention to detail.
- Adept in social media and web skills. Possess strong computer skills, including Office, Excel, and web-based interactive software and applications.
- Flexibility of schedule required, as position entails some travel throughout Indiana and some evening and weekend meetings and/or partnership events.
- Aptitude for identifying and working collaboratively with community partners to discover, understand, and address community needs and aspirations.
- Ability to participate in multiple projects and partnerships in a changing environment.
- Possess initiative, creativity, and problem-solving skills.
- High energy and passion for WFYI Public Media mission and core values of: Operating with unquestionable integrity; collaborating with each other and with community partners; respecting everyone; serving with humility; embracing change; delivering excellence every day.
- Background in public health, journalism, social sciences, or social work.