Morning Edition Host
JOB TITLE: Morning Edition Host
SALARY: Commensurate with experience, exempt
CLASSIFICATION: Regular, full time
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Radio
The Morning Edition Host is the local voice of WFYI and WBAA. The Morning Edition Host guides listeners through the NPR News Program by creating a sense of place with local news, information, and community connections. The successful candidate will have strong hosting, writing and audio editing skills, and the ability to distribute content to digital platforms.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the functions listed below. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Strive to continuously improve and elevate the Morning Drive listening experience.
- Present Morning Edition and drive time programs daily Monday – Friday, 6a-10a for WFYI Indianapolis & WBAA West Lafayette. Simulcast on WFCI, WNDY, WISU.
- Run the digital radio board, playback/automation system, and general broadcast equipment and software.
- Create day sheet with daily and topical live read promotions and produce daily audio promos.
- Support digital audio promotional needs and follow marketing strategies.
- Contribute to infrequent on-call weekend needs and crisis coverage.
- Organization Fundraising and in-person organization events.
- Value, contribute to and sustain WFYI’s commitment to a culture of belonging that sees our history of power and privilege and seeks to balance that by including many diverse experiences and perspectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience unless otherwise noted below.
- Bachelor’s Degree in broadcasting or journalism or related field.
- At least two years of professional on-air experience in a similar drive time host or reporter position.
- Knowledge and experience doing voice work in a public radio setting
- Experience in non-profit, not required but highly desirable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions. Solid communication, interpersonal, and technology skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Audiovault.
- Demonstrated skills in interviewing, audio editing and writing for broadcast.
- Proficient in Adobe Suite and other editing software.
- Skilled broadcast board operator with knowledge of FCC radio requirements.
- Professional and punctual.
- Significant experience working with a team.
- Experience working on deadlines independently and collaboratively.
- High proficiency with computer apps and software.
- Demonstrated self-motivated qualities and desire to learn new skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday.
- Ability to move in and between various facilities and handle exposure to inclement weather.
- Strong sensory skills, such as good eyesight, good hearing, and dexterity.
- Good speaking and listening skills.
- Ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail.
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and phones.
- Ability to interact with others, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written correspondence.
This description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.