Morning Edition Host
JOB TITLE: Morning Edition Host
The Morning Edition Host is the trusted voice for WFYI and WBAA sharing local connections to national stories and guiding the more than 150,000 listeners in communities across Indiana to be informed, inspired, and included as they start their day. This is a high-profile on-air position that contributes significantly to the overall sound, style, and personality of WFYI by contributing on air, online, via social media, as well as at community events. A successful candidate will be comfortable hosting live broadcast breaks, have strong writing and audio editing skills, have experience running a radio board and working with automation systems, and ability to distribute content to digital platforms.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the essential functions and responsibilities listed below.
- Dedicated to presenting the Morning Drive audience with a seamless and compelling listener experience every weekday morning
- Host live presentation and pre-recorded breaks during Morning Edition local elements and other programs as needed
- Must be able to commit to work daily Monday – Friday, for WFYI Indianapolis & WBAA West Lafayette starting as early as 4a
- Writes and edits on air copy, intros, promos, and scripts
- Creates local day sheet/ live read promos and assists with topical show promos and production
- Run the digital radio board, playback/automation system, and general broadcast equipment and software required to execute a well-produced program
- Exercise independent judgment to ensure timely service during breaking news and major events
- Support digital audio needs for local radio/audio productions, podcasts, and promotion
- Utilize online and social media presence to share and connect content to audiences following journalistic codes of conduct
- Contribute to infrequent on-call weekend needs and breaking news coverage
- Participates in fundraising on all WFYI platforms
- Represents organization at public events
- Contributes to original audio content projects as needed
- Value, contribute to and sustain WFYI’s commitment to representing the rich diversity that is our community and amplifying the stories that represent the experiences of all
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience unless otherwise noted below.
- 2+ years of weekly on-air radio hosting, reporting, or news anchoring experience
- Previous public radio hosting experience preferred
- Familiarity with public radio news and cultural programming standards and values
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Demonstrated high quality radio hosting skills
- Engaging, energetic and conversational on-air presence
- Broadcast writing and communication skills
- Ability to conduct 2-way interviews on air and at organization events
- Skilled broadcast board operator with technical proficiency, troubleshooting capabilities
- Proficient in audio editing, Adobe Audition preferred
- Working knowledge of automation systems, Audiovault or Wide Orbit preferred
- Professional and punctual, always meets deadlines and is respectful of colleagues
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines under time constraints
- Strong understanding of journalistic standards, practices, and ethics
- Live in studio work is required at WFYI
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to interact with others, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written correspondence
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and phones
- Ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday
- Good speaking and listening skills
HOW TO APPLY
Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.