News Content Internship
JOB TITLE: News Content Intern
CLASSIFICATION: Paid Internship ($15/hr, 20hrs/week)
WFYI news teams report on the intersections of people and policy, systems that are meant to serve everyone -- where they succeed, where they fail, and the efforts to mend those gaps. Reporters are especially focused on intersections that relate directly to the identifying characteristics of race, class, ability, gender, religion and immigration status, and our editorial approach is driven by community engagement.
Our Newscast, Policy, Education and Health desks also collaborate with eight other public radio newsrooms in Indiana and a shared statewide team. This position is on the Newscast Desk.
The News Intern creates digital content and curates the daily news in support of local journalism and online community engagement. This is an opportunity to sharpen your skills as a journalist, produce material for our website, and build professional social media experience, train with reporters in the field and produce some broadcast stories. In addition to the hands-on experience in the newsroom, we will provide digital news training.
- Reports to the Daily/Digital Editor
- This position may receive periodic direction from the WFYI News Director and other WFYI editors and reporters
- Monitor wire services, press releases, etc. for material that can be used to create content for the website throughout the day.
- Pitch story ideas and do original reporting.
- Create multimedia and interactive content using video, still photography, Data Wrapper, StoryMap, Timeline, Juxtapose, Soundcite, etc.
- Assist with updates to social media sites (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) throughout the day.
- The Digital News Intern may be asked to assist with breaking news events outside the regular schedule.
- Value and contribute to WFYI’s commitment to a culture of belonging that sees our culture’s history of power and privilege and seeks to balance that by including many diverse experiences and perspectives.
- Must be a college junior or senior majoring in journalism, communications or related field.
- Strong grammar skills and knowledge of AP Style.
- Demonstrated ability to create engaging social media posts.
- Excellent attention to detail; strong analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work and produce under deadline.
- Strong journalism ethics.
- Ability to work within a team.
- Some experience with HTML, CSS, Java script, etc.
- Photography and photo editing skills.
- Videography and video editing skills.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite.
HOW TO APPLY
Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.