Sr. Dir Broadcast and Network Ops
JOB TITLE: Sr. Director Broadcast and Network Ops
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time
The Senior Director for Broadcast and Network Operations manages broadcast distribution and information technology across all segments of the WFYI Public Media organization.
The position oversees and supports all media technology used in the creation and distribution of WFYI content. This includes delivery streams for audio, video, and digital, both on site and as managed services (outsourced TV control, audio and video streaming, etc.) This person oversees all media automation and storage platforms.
Working in close partnership with the staff and leadership, the Senior Director for Broadcast and Network Operations ensures the highest reliability of media platforms and services throughout the organization with an emphasis on remote access and flexibility. This person serves as a strategic advisor to staff in achieving their goals while overseeing resource allocation and network security.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform the functions listed below in a satisfactory, consistent, timely and accurate manner. Pursuant to organizational policy, reasonable accommodations, as required by law, will be provided to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions and responsibilities.
Digital Streaming and On-Demand Services
The person in this position is responsible for all technical aspects of content distribution via digital platforms, online streaming, and on-demand.
The person in this position is responsible for broadcast automation systems and distribution processes including those on site (radio automation) and externally managed services (TV control).
The person in this position recommends, manages, and evaluates hardware platforms (SAN) and software (CMS) to manage and archive media resources for audio, video, and digital.
The person in this position manages and oversees on-site IT networks and systems for media and business operations.
The person in this position will build and manage a team committed to the highest level of service for the WFYI staff and its audiences, creating opportunities for mentorship and professional development.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for being a key contributor providing on-going input and support for:
- Leadership Team
- Departmental Directors and Managers
- Technical support desk
- Responsible for mentoring and professional development.
- Responsible for performing other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Our ideal team player is a dynamic leader not only in broadcast and network operations, but also in the areas of building a positive & respectful culture of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience as outlined below.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology or other related degree or equivalent experience.
- Successful senior management experience including budget, project, and personnel supervision.
- IT Industry/Network Training and Certifications
- Knowledge of, or experience in, media and/or complex non-profit organizations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below represent the demonstrable knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform this position’s functions and responsibilities satisfactorily.
- Demonstrable experience working with computerized broadcast automation systems; including installation, configuration, and operation (both on site and remote access).
- Comprehensive understanding of how broadcast automation and traffic systems work together effectively and efficiently.
- Experience operating and troubleshooting media editing, encoding, and storage systems.
- Demonstrable understanding of computer network topology in both the broadcast and business environments.
- Successful experience with implementation of media storage systems and asset management systems.
- Successful experience troubleshooting equipment and computer configurations for digital editing systems.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to interact with others, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written correspondence
- Ability to move in and between various facilities and handle exposure to inclement weather
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and phones
- Ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday
- Good speaking and listening skills
- Must be able to lift, carry and position 25 pounds at times
HOW TO APPLY
Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.