February 27, 2024

Ballot challenge against former President Donald Trump denied in Indiana

The Indiana Election Commission denied a challenge against President Donald Trump. - Photo from commission live stream

The Indiana Election Commission denied a challenge against President Donald Trump.

Photo from commission live stream

The Indiana Election Commission voted Tuesday to deny an effort to keep Former President Donald Trump off of the Indiana primary ballot.

The challenge mirrors similar efforts in other states.

The challenge for keeping Trump off of the ballot argued that he allegedly engaged in an insurrection after losing the 2020 election to Joe Biden, making him ineligible to run for President.

The challenge was filed by a lone voter in Monroe County.

Election commission member Karen Celestino-Horseman was the sole vote in favor of the challenge.

“Now while Donald Trump didn’t storm the steps of the capital, he is the one who aimed and pulled the trigger on the violence that occurred on January 6th,” she said. “...in support of America and as an American who loves her country and the law I vote to grant the challenge.”

Election Commission chair Paul Okeson, along with the rest of the commission, voted against the challenge. He noted that Celestino-Horseman’s comments were not the opinion of the committee.

“I think it’s up to the people of Indiana to decide how Indiana elects its next president,” he said.

Trump has previously made statements challenging the validity of candidate Nikki Haley’s ability to appear on the primary ballot. Haley’s campaign did not receive any official challenges.

President Joe Biden also saw a ballot challenge, but the challenger did not appear in front of the commission and the issue was quickly dismissed.

A similar effort to keep Trump off of the primary ballot in Colorado is currently in front of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Contact WBAA/WFYI reporter Benjamin Thorp at bthorp@wfyi.org.

 

Support independent journalism today. You rely on WFYI to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Donate to power our nonprofit reporting today. Give now.

 

Related News

Citing last year's success, Indianapolis officials announce return of SPARK on the Circle
"We have the power to change this reality." Youth-led group works to change narrative around gun violence
After uptick in officer-involved shootings, IMPD to receive Department of Justice review