As extreme heat hits Indianapolis, city leaders lay out plans to help residents stay cool.
Temperatures are expected to be in the upper 90s for the next few days and heat indices near or over 110 are possible. The National Weather Service issued an excessive heat warning through Wednesday evening and the Indianapolis Office of Sustainability issued a Knozone Action Day.
Residents are advised to check on older neighbors, keep pets cool, avoid work outdoors and cut down on car trips.
Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett said Marion County emergency management is in close contact with city partners.
"To help Indianapolis residents get through a very uncomfortable, and a potentially dangerous, hazardous day," Hogsett said.
Indy Parks has six pools open, two are still undergoing repairs. The limited number of pools is due to lifeguard shortage. Seventeen splash pads are also open and operating across the city.
Indy parks has 10 family center cooling stations open.
Indy Parks Cooling Centers:
Bethel Park Family Center, 2850 Bethel Ave.,
Monday-Friday 10a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Brookside Park Family Center, 3500 Brookside Parkway South Drive,
Monday-Friday 12 to 8 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Christian Park Family Center, 4200 English Ave.,
Monday-Friday 12 to 8 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Garfield Park Burrello Family Center, 2345 Pagoda Drive,
Monday-Friday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Municipal Gardens Family Center, 1831 Lafayette Road,
Monday and Wednesday 12 to 8 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.,
Friday 2 to 8 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Riverside Park Family Center, 2420 North Riverside East Drive,
Monday-Friday 11a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Thatcher Park Family Center, 4649 W. Vermont St.,
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday 1 to 8 p.m.,
Saturday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Washington Park Family Center, 3130 E. 30th St.,
Monday-Friday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Watkins Park Family Center, 2360 Dr. Martin L. King Jr. St.,
Monday-Friday 12 to 8 p.m., Saturday 11a.m. to 2 p.m.
Windsor Village Family Center, 6510 E. 25th St.,
Monday-Friday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Splash Pads open as of June 14:
Open 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Arsenal Park: 1400 E. 46th St. (open 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.)
- Bel Aire Park: 2901 W. Mooresville Road
- Bertha Ross Park: 3700 N. Clifton Ave.
- Carson Park: 5400 S. High School Road
- Christian Park: 4200 English Ave.
- Clayton LaSalle: 401 S. LaSalle St.
- Grassy Creek: 10510 E. 30th St.
- Haughville Park: 520 N. Belleview Place
- Holliday Park: 6363 Spring Mill Drive
- Jake Greene Park: 1700 Franklin Road
- Municipal Gardens: 1831 N. Lafayette Road
- Riverwood Park: 7201 Crittenden Ave.
- Stout Field Park: 3820 W. Bradbury Road
- Wes Montgomery: 3400 N. Hawthrone Lane
- Wildwood Park: 8100 Southeastern Ave.
- Willard Park: 1901 Washington St.
- Windsor Village: 6510 E. 25th St. (open 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.)
Indy Parks Pools open as of June 14:
Open Wednesday-Sunday 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and 3 – 6 p.m.
- Bethel Park, 2850 Bethel Ave.
- Frederick Douglass Park, 1616 E. 25th St.
- Garfield Park, 2345 Pagoda Drive
- Perry Park, 451 E. Stop 11 Road
- Thatcher Park, 4649 W. Vermont St. (closed Sundays)
- Willard Park, 1901 Washington St.