Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett has extended Marion County's curfew into its third evening.
The latest curfew order is effective beginning at 9 p.m. Tuesday, and will continue through 6 a.m. Wednesday. The city says police will continue to engage residents with an education first approach.
“On a day designated for the exercise of the people’s power over their government, it is vital that we do our part to protect that exercise amid a challenging time for our city and our nation,” Hogsett said in a statement announcing the curfew. “We continue to reevaluate how best to ensure the peaceful exercise of constitutional rights in our city. My continued thanks go out to Marion County residents who abide by these orders, as well as members of law enforcement who help keep our community safe.”
During the curfew, travel on public streets or be in public places in Marion County. Exceptions to the order include individuals traveling directly to or from work, seeking medical care, or fleeing from dangerous circumstances; law enforcement; members of the news media; federal, state, or local public officials conducting necessary work; and individuals experiencing homelessness. An additional exception for election-related activities has been added to the executive order.
Violation of the curfew order is a class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail and fines worth up to $10,000.
Hogsett issued the first curfew order for Sunday night into Monday morning following two consecutive nights of violence throughout the downtown area that overshadowed peaceful protests that had occurred earlier in the day calling for an end to police brutality and racial injustice. The curfew was then extended on Monday, and again Tuesday.