The City of Indianapolis announced this year's trick-or-treat hours on Wednesday.
Halloween falls on a Thursday this year. Trick-or-treat hours in Indianapolis will be from 6 - 8 p.m. on Oct. 31. IMPD says it will have extra patrols and enforcement in neighborhoods during these times.
City officials also offered the following safety tips for those joining in this year’s trick-or-treating fun:
- Wear light-colored clothing short enough to prevent tripping and add reflective tape
- Wear fire-resistant costumes
- Make sure children can see well through face masks
- Don’t wear masks or disguises into businesses
- Adults should accompany young children and children with special needs
- Go out in daylight hours if possible, or carry a flashlight if you’ll be out after dark
- Motorists are reminded to slow down and be aware of their surroundings
- Only give and accept wrapped or packaged treats
- Examine all treats before allowing children to eat them. If you find a suspicious item, contact police as soon as possible at 327-3811; if injury is involved, dial 911
- Avoid props such as toy guns, which can look real
- Consider block parties instead of trick-or-treating
- Don’t fire guns – not only is this illegal, but what goes up, must come down
- Check the weather and have appropriate dress under costumes in the event of cold temperatures