Marion County's curfew order will not be extended, for now.
Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett says he does not plan to extend the curfew to Wednesday and Thursday nights, but indicated curfew orders are being planned for Friday and Saturday nights due to the projected crowd sizes of planned weekend events.
In a statement Hogsett said:
“After a difficult weekend, Indianapolis has experienced three days of peaceful protest that has powerfully contributed to a national conversation on our criminal justice system. To the men and women of IMPD: thank you for protecting first amendment rights, under difficult conditions, as our community wrestles with necessary change. And to those who have chosen the path of nonviolent protest—we see you, we hear you, and we will work with you over the coming days, weeks, and months.
For the safety of what we believe will be much larger demonstrations this weekend, and given the violence and property damage we experienced this past weekend, we intend to reinstate the curfew order for Friday and Saturday. I do not make this decision lightly, but it is my belief it will better allow our city to preserve this promising peace.”
Hogsett issued the first curfew order for Sunday night into Monday morning following two consecutive nights of violence throughout the downtown area that overshadowed peaceful protests that had occurred earlier in the day calling for an end to police brutality and racial injustice. The curfew was then extended on Monday, and Tuesday. Protesters marched peacefully Tuesday night, well past the 9 p.m. curfew, avoiding confrontations with police.