Marion County's "stay-at-home" orders have been extended through May 1.
Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett and Dr. Virginia Caine of the Marion County Public Health Department announced the extension Wednesday afternoon. The restrictions, which had been set to expire April 6, include a “warning” travel status and the ordered closure of all non-essential business activity.
The health department also ordered the closure of all golf courses in Marion County beginning April 3, and all of Indy Parks' April programming has been cancelled.
Indianapolis parks remain open, but basketball courts, playgrounds, restrooms and other facilities within the propoerties are closed. And city officials urge those using the parks to adhere to social distancing recommendations to keep at least six feet away from other people.
Hogsett says medical data made it clear that the "stay-at-home" orders needed to be extended for another month.
“These historic efforts are making a difference, and I want to thank residents and businesses as we come together as one city and make sacrifices that will flatten the curve and save lives,” Hogsett said in a press release.
The restrictions announced Wedneday follow the recent closure of all Marion County schools, the temporary closure of bars and nightclubs that do not serve food, movie theaters and entertainment venues, as well as gyms and fitness facilities.
All 11 township school systems within Marion County -- as well as mayoral-sponsored charter schools -- will remain closed through May 1.
Businesses with essential functions are permitted to remain open and their employees are permitted to continue traveling to work.
A letter was sent to all essential businesses, reminding them of social distancing guidelines and reinforcing the need to make changes in the workplace in order to create distance between employees performing essential functions. The letter indicates that essential businesses failing to implement guidelines risk the revocation of their essential status and right to remain open.
Marion County's “warning” travel status -- the highest level allowed under state law -- restricts travel except for emergency situations and essential functions. A full list of essential functions can be found in the executive order, but it includes travel for things like the care of another individual, the purchase groceries or food and beverages, as well as the pick-up of prescriptions. Travel for outdoor activites -- like going for a walk or visiting a park -- is also permitted, as long as you adhere to social distancing recommendations of keeping at least six feet away from other people.
Residents and affected workers impacted by COVID-19 restrictions should visit the city’s resource guide. Spanish speaking residents can view the Resource Guide here. Individuals who are unable to navigate the city’s website can call 317-327-4MAC between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to talk to a customer service representative.