April 14, 2021

New Building For July 4 Fireworks Sought In Indianapolis

New Building For July 4 Fireworks Sought In Indianapolis

Indianapolis’s Fourth of July fireworks show is in need of a new building to launch the rockets from.

Last year’s fireworks celebration was canceled due to COVID-19, but for years before the show shot off from the Regions Tower in downtown Indianapolis.

The tower can no longer be used as a launch site for the Freedom Festival because new residential buildings are too close. Because of this change, Emmis Communications which has previously managed the event has handed it off to Downtown Indy Inc.

The civic nonprofit focused on downtown said it’s working to identify a new building that can be used for this festival and other events that involve fireworks.

Downtown Indy said even if a new skyscraper is identified, this year’s event would not be a festival because of ongoing pandemic concerns.

In a written press release Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett said he’s excited to welcome the show back.

“As we work with partners to find a new location, we’re looking forward to inviting residents to safely enjoy the spectacle from various vantage points throughout the Downtown area,” Hogsett said.

Downtown Indy Inc, said it will reach out to corporate leaders to help support the festival moving forward.

Support independent journalism today. You rely on WFYI to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Donate to power our nonprofit reporting today. Give now.

 

 

Related News

Rally Remembers Reed And Rose One Year Later
One Year Since Police Killings In Indianapolis
Judge Alters 'Red Flag' Process After Indianapolis FedEx Shooting