Indy’s Dine Out program that fast tracks permits for outdoor serving will be extended and expanded. The Department of Business and Neighborhood Services announced plans to include bars which are set to open at 50 percent capacity this week. So far, more than 100 businesses have participated in the effort to add or expand outdoor seating. Limited street closures will also continue as part of the program.
A number of Indianapolis streets will remain closed through the weekend to allow restaurants to serve people outside. City officials say last weekend was a success with more than 80 restaurants participating in the opportunity.
Indianapolis’s Deputy Mayor of Community Development Jeff Bennett says staff members have been monitoring the areas.
"We will continue to have those teams be out and about," says Bennett, "Primarily educating people, making sure that people are properly social distancing on the street."
Parts of Massachusetts Avenue, Illinois Street, Georgia Street and Broadripple Avenue have closures. City officials announced an adjust on Monument Circle where only the southeast quadrant will be closed now.
Starting Friday May 29, Marion County restaurants may begin indoor serving as well as outdoor, at 50 percent capacity.