A new grant program opens this week to help restaurants and bars set up for continued outside business.
Currently Indianapolis restaurants and bars are limited to 50 percent capacity, outside seating is at 100 percent.
Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett said outside dining and entertainment has become a popular way for businesses to expand service safely.
“We want to help establishments make any adjustments they can to keep this practice going," Hogsett said, "and I encourage businesses owners to visit the site in advance of the application process to ensure they are fully prepared to take advantage of these funds.
A new $1 million fund is available to help businesses purchase heaters, tents and other seating as the weather turns colder.
The grant program was announced earlier this month along with an $11 million effort to help businesses pay rent and mortgage.
Establishments can be reimbursed up to $2,500 for expenses related to winter preparedness. The funding comes from the federal CARES act.
The application opens Thursday and closes Nov. 20.