A portion of 10th Street in downtown Indianapolis will close as part of the North Split reconstruction project.
The Indiana Department of Transportation said 10th Street will close on Monday, July 18, between Bellefontaine Street on the west and Dorman Street/Massachusetts Avenue on the east. Traffic will be redirected to 16th Street. Access to the Bottle Works complex will be maintained from College Avenue.
INDOT said it expects the street to reopen, weather permitting, by mid-September. During the closure, construction crews will demolish and reconstruct bridges for the new Interstate 65 mainline.
Motorists traveling eastbound and westbound on 10th Street will be redirected to 16th Street during the closure.
Pedestrians on the east side will detour using Highland Avenue to Commerce Avenue to 16th Street to the Monon Trail and Monon Loop. On the west side, the detour will follow the Monon Loop to the Monon Trail to 16th Street to Commerce Avenue to Highland Avenue to 10th Street.
Access to downtown Indianapolis
- I-70 westbound collector/distributor ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13 ton declared vehicle weight restriction effect)
- Pine Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound to Michigan Street and New York Street
- I-65 northbound/ I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr/West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania Streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South split
The North Split Project is reconfiguring the I-65/I-70 interchange in an effort to reduce traffic congestion and improve safety. It also includes repairing some of the existing bridges, upgrading pavement, local street repairs and landscaping. Construction is scheduled to wrap up by the spring of 2023.
Project information is available at northsplit.com.