The 18-month closure of the North Split Interchange in downtown Indianapolis is about to begin.
The Indiana Department of Transportation says the I-65/I-70 southbound lanes between the North Split and Washington Street will close Friday. The full closure of the interchange is expected Saturday, if the weather cooperates.
Interstates 65 and 70 between the North Split and Washington Street will be closed to all traffic during construction but access in and out of downtown will remain via:
- the I-70 westbound exit ramp to Michigan or Ohio streets
- the Pine Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound
INDOT says the I-65 southbound to I-70 eastbound and I-70 westbound to I-65 northbound connections will remain open during construction.
The Michigan Street exit is closed for reconstruction, while the Ohio and Fletcher street exits remain open.
Vermont Street between Davidson and Pine streets will be closed to vehicles and pedestrians beginning May 17, while the bridges over Vermont Street are demolished as part of the North Split project. The Vermont Street work is estimated to be completed by the end of May. During the closure, eastbound traffic will be detoured to New York Street and westbound traffic will be detoured to Michigan Street.
Here’s an overview of how INDOT will maintain travel during the North Split construction project.
- Will remain open at the Keystone interchange
- Will remain open to I-65 northbound
- Will remain open to either the Michigan or Ohio Street exits via collector/distributor
- Will be accessible from Washington Street entrance ramp
- Will be closed to I-70 westbound through traffic and to I-65 southbound
- Will be accessible from Pine Street entrance ramp. (There will be detours as the Michigan, New York and Vermont street bridges are reconstructed. The Pine Street entrance ramp onto I-70 eastbound will remain open.)
- From the airport, all exits remain open for eastbound traffic up to Washington Street
- The West, Illinois and Meridian Street interchanges (south side) can access I-65 southbound and I-65 northbound to Washington Street
- Will be closed to I-70 eastbound through traffic and to I-65 northbound
- Will be accessible from the North Illinois Street onramp
- Will remain open through the South Split up to the Washington Street exit
- Will be closed to I-65 northbound through traffic and to I-70 westbound
- Will remain open to I-70 eastbound (except closed for 45 days in Fall 2021)
- Will be accessible from the West Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound only (except closed for 45 days in Fall 2021)
- Will be accessible from the Delaware Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound only (except closed for 45 days in Fall 2021)
- Will be accessible from the Washington Street entrance ramp
Local streets passing under the interstate will be closed for overhead construction work. INDOT says the durations will vary.