Work on the North Split project will shift traffic patterns on the highway and close a downtown Indianapolis street.
The Indiana Department of Transportation said beginning Friday, Sept. 9 at 9 p.m. Interstate 65 southbound will be reduced to one lane between Alabama Street and College Avenue. The traffic pattern will return to normal on Monday, Sept. 12 at 5 a.m.
Starting Sept. 12, 10th Street will be closed between College and Highland avenues. The closure is expected to last into late September. Eastbound and westbound traffic will be detoured to 16th Street during the closure.
In the evening of Sept. 12, INDOT will implement a new traffic pattern for Interstate 70 traffic heading westbound to the Michigan Street collector/distributor ramp. Traffic will temporarily shift onto new pavement and bridges to allow for work on the ramp and demolition of an existing bridge. During the shift, the Keystone/Rural Street ramps to I-70 WB will be closed.
INDOT said drivers should watch for slow traffic in the area.
Access to downtown can be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound collector/distributor ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13 ton declared vehicle weight restriction effect)
- I-65 northbound/ I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr/West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
- Project information can be found at northsplit.com.