The city is preparing to lay fallen IMPD Officer Perry Renn to rest.
Danny Overley with the Indiana Fraternal Order of Police Critical Incident Memorial Team says the next few days are to shine light on the life Renn created for himself and the community.
"He and his wife had a very dedicated, close marriage. They did a lot of traveling together. That was kind of their passion, traveling. Their passion was animals. He was very proud of his service time that he had in the Army. We are going to highlight those areas," said Overley. "He was a decorated hero for the police department, but he was a personal man, and it is important that we let the community speak about him. He was a great neighbor. He was a great resource to have on the southside of Indianapolis in his personal time. We're going to reflect on that."
Visitation will be held, Thursday, at Crown Hill Funeral Home from 2 to 8 p.m.
The Funeral Service is Friday at Banker’s Life Fieldhouse at 11 a.m.
Overley says having the event at such a large venue is important for Renn's family to see the impact he made on the city.
"The officers sometimes don't see that respect. They don't see that silent majority that is out there," he said. "The family can sit there, as difficult as it is for them, and look around and say 'Officer Renn made an effect. He affected this community. He affected lives and they are here. The media is here to get this out to the people who can't come in. I think it's the first time they sit back and say 'wow, I lost my loved one, but he made an effect on this community.'"
Funeral Procession Route
- North on Delaware Street from Maryland Street to Fall Creek Parkway.
- East on Fall Creek Parkway to East 30th Street.
- North on Officer David S. Moore Memorial Parkway to drive north of North District Roll Call.
- East on drive to North District, then proceeds to North Dearborn Street.*
- South on North Dearborn Street to East 30th Street.
- East on East 30th Street to North Sherman Drive.
- North on North Sherman Drive to East 38th Street.
- West on East 38th Street to North Capitol Avenue.
- South on North Capitol Avenue to West 34th Street.
- West on West 34th Street to Crown Hill Cemetery.