NewsLocal News / September 18, 2019

Dillinger Family Members Apply Again To Exhume His Grave

Dillinger Family Members Apply Again To Exhume His GraveFamily members of 1930s gangster John Dillinger have submitted a new application to exhume his Indianapolis gravesite.Crown Hill Cemetery, John Dillinger2019-09-18T00:00:00-04:00
Dillinger Family Members Apply Again To Exhume His Grave

Family members said they have evidence John Dillinger's body may not be buried in Crown Hill Cemetery.

FBI

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Family members of 1930s gangster John Dillinger have submitted a new application to exhume his Indianapolis gravesite.

The Indiana State Department of Health said it received the latest application Tuesday.

Dillinger's family first applied to exhume the remains in July as part of a planned History Channel documentary. The deadline to exhume and return the remains was Sept. 16, and the exhumation did not occur.

The History Channel last week dropped out of a planned documentary on Dillinger that would have included the exhumation. Family members said they have evidence Dillinger's body may not be buried in Crown Hill Cemetery, and that he may not have been the man FBI agents fatally shot outside a Chicago theater on July 22, 1934.

Cemetery officials object to the exhumation, saying it would be disruptive. Dillinger's nephew, Michael C. Thompson, sued the cemetery last month, seeking a court order to gain access to the grave. A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 1.

At WFYI, our goal is to cover stories that matter to you. Our reporting is rooted in facts. It considers all perspectives and is available to everyone. We don't have paywalls, but we do need support. So if unbiased, trusted journalism is important to you, please join us. Donate now.

 

 

Related News

Indy Humane Seeks Donations To Restock Rescue Relief Program
Public Safety Meeting Highlights Efforts To Reduce Violence In Indianapolis
Safe Haven Baby Boxes Continue To Expand, Evolve