Indiana will soon send a total of $61 million to Hoosier schools to help them with their technology needs during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The awards announced Wednesday will go to 1,366 schools, the vast majority of which are traditional public schools.
The grants from the previously-announced program are funded by the federal CARES Act. They will pay for, among other things, more than 68,000 student devices and nearly 2,900 devices for teachers.
Join the conversation and sign up for the Indiana 2020 Two-Way. Text "elections" to 73224. Your comments and questions in response to our weekly text help us find the answers you need on COVID-19 and the 2020 election.
The governor’s Senior Education Advisor Katie Jenner said the money will also pay for improved internet access.
“Cellular Mi-Fi devices, expanding Wi-Fi access to key community locations and more,” Jenner said.
Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett applauded the Holcomb administration's work to ensure students have the devices and internet connectivity needed for remote learning during the pandemic.
"The more than $11.5 million awarded to Marion County schools by the Governor's Emergency Education Relief fund could not come at a more critical time for schools, students, and families," Hogsett said in a statement following the announcement.
Indiana Department of Health Commissioner Dr. Kris Box also announced Wednesday the state will create a public dashboard that shows positive COVID-19 cases in schools. But that won’t be ready until mid- to late-September.