INDIANAPOLIS -- The state Board of Education has scheduled five public hearings for schools in Indianapolis, Gary, East Chicago and Evansville that have been placed in the lowest category of school improvement for five straight years.
Each of the hearings begins at 6 p.m. local time. The hearing are:
- Wednesday at Phalen Leadership Academy at Key School 103 in Indianapolis
- July 13 at Lodge Elementary School in Evansville
- July 20 at Kilmer School 69 in Indianapolis
- Aug. 10 at Gary's Beveridge Elementary
- Aug. 11 at Block Junior High in East Chicago.
No decisions will be made at the hearings.
The board can consider releasing a school from turnaround status, working with current or new operators, or returning a school to local district control. The hearings are required under state law.