INDIANAPOLIS - INDOT said it plans to close the northbound I-65 and eastbound I-70 ramp to northbound I-65 at the north split tonight to install safety improvements.
Weather permitting, the ramp is scheduled to close tonight after 9 p.m. and open before 6 a.m. on Thursday. During the temporary closure, traffic will be routed on eastbound I-70 to Keystone Avenue Exit 85B to return westbound on I-70 and access northbound I-65. Here's a map.
The safety features include:
- LED-illuminated speed display signs
- Signs advising a 40 mph travel speed
- Signs directing motorists to “stay in lane”
- More prominent pavement markings
The ramp is one of seven where INDOT is installing additional safety features as part of a targeted effort to reduce crashes, increase safety and decrease congestion. The ramps included in the contract were selected because of a history of recurring crashes, often involving tractor-trailer rollovers.
- Southbound I-465 to eastbound I-70 (east side)
- Northbound I-465 to westbound I-70 (east side)
- Westbound I-70 to southbound I-465 (east side)
- Northbound I-465 to westbound I-865 (northwest side)
- Eastbound I-70 to Keystone Avenue
- Eastbound I-70 to I-465 (west side)
INDOT will continue monitoring the ramps after the safety features are installed this summer and will compare crash rates before and after the modifications to determine if any additional safety features are needed.
For more info about Indiana traffic conditions, road closures, construction information and crashes, go to www.TrafficWise.in.gov, or call 1-800-261-ROAD (7623) or 511 from a mobile phone.