The 87th annual Marion County Fair gets underway Friday, June 16.
The all-volunteer board of directors has spent the last year exploring and identifying programming that recognizes the expanding urban area, yet continues to salute the region's agricultural roots.
“County fairs have suffered in the past few years, especially in Marion County, just because there are so many things to do in Marion County," says Marion County Fair President John Gardner. "We compete with a lot of other events. I think for the cost and the entertainment value, we are a pretty good value for a family coming out to the fair.”
He says they have tried to revitalize the county fair. This year, a waterskiing squirrel and racing pigs are just some of the entertainment for visitors.
“On opening night we have the queen and princess pageant. We have fireworks later. We have Twiggy the water skiing squirrel. We have chainsaw carving. We have Auto Indiana, which is a large exhibit from the Indiana Historical Society,” says Gardner.
Gates open at 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, 12 p.m. on weekends. General admission is $5 per person. The event runs thru Sunday, June 25 at the Marion County Fairgrounds on Indy's southeast side, 7300 E Troy Ave.
Special discount admission events include the Sunday, June 18 Father’s Day Celebration when all men receive $2 off regular admission; Monday, June 19 Senior Night when fairgoers age 55-plus receive $1 off admission with ID, and Wednesday, June 21 Ladies Night when all female fairgoers receive $2 off admission.
Headliners on the free Park Stage include:
- Classic '70s rock with Vinnie & the Moochers (June 16)
- '60s music with the 45 RPMs (June 17)
- Gospel Music Celebration in partnership with WHMB-TV (June 18)
- Country artist Seth Cook (June 19)
- The smooth Caribbean sounds of Island Breeze (June 20)
- Country/pop performer Greg Rhodes (June 21)
- The rock/funk Thunder Brothers (June 22)
- Popular country singer Carly Brooke and country/Christian duo Cook & Belle (June 23)
- From Detroit, the jazz/blues artistry of the Chris Canas Band (June 24)
- Rocker Jason Wells (June 25).
Visit MarionCountyFair.org for complete schedules, times and additional information about the entertainment line-up, competitions, shows and displays, or pick up a fair program at Indianapolis Public Library branches.