NewsLocal News / November 21, 2013

Carbon Monoxide Scare Highlights Importance Of Detectors

Six people sent to the hospital after being exposed to carbon monoxide at a Carmel apartment complex Wednesday night. 2013-11-21T00:00:00-05:00
Carbon Monoxide Scare Highlights Importance Of Detectors

A carbon monoxide scare in a Carmel apartment building sent six people to the hospital but, new CO detectors helped monitor the situation.

Carmel emergency crews responding to a call Wednesday night were immediately alerted to high levels of carbon monoxide by new CO alarms clipped to their bags. 

Thirteen people were evacuated from the Legacy Towns and Flats apartment complex on the northeast side of Carmel.  Firefighters discovered an SUV that had been left running, seeping CO into the building through a closed garage.

"We are very pleased that our new CO detectors performed wonderfully and allowed our crews to quickly and accurately assess the situation and take immediate action to prevent loss of life,” says Carmel Fire Marshall Bruce Knott.

Luckily, no one was seriously hurt but Carmel officials are taking the opportunity to remind residents of the importance of having a carbon monoxide detector, and to diligently change the batteries.  The recently purchased digital devices carried by Carmel crews have a life time of two years and are set to alarm at 35 parts per million (ppm).

Every apartment unit had elevated levels of CO from 200 to almost 1000 ppm. Ten minutes of exposure to 1000 ppm of CO can be fatal. 



Related News

Blood Donations Encouraged Following Hurricanes
Dry Weather Might Mean Less Time To Enjoy Fall Colors
Bidding On "Best Of Indiana" Sale Underway