The Indiana Department of Education announced the top 10 finalists for the 2018 Teacher of the Year Thursday.
The teacher of the year is picked by a committee including, former recipients, department staff, educational and community leaders, and higher education representatives.
“This list of educators is comprised of the best of the best across Indiana, and I am grateful for the dedication and hard work they show each and every day,” Superintendent Jennifer McCormick said in a statement. “Our teachers deserve all the support and recognition they can receive and I am happy to honor them through our Teacher of the Year program.”
Jitka Nelson of Logansport Community High School is the 2017 Teacher of the Year.
The candidates are chosen from applicants submitted by school districts. The department has awarded the distinction for more than 60 years. Teacher of the Year will be announced in October. This year’s finalists are:
- Lisa Eck, Franklin Township Community School Corp.
- Julie Oelschlager, Hamilton Heights School Corp.
- Kathleen Rauth, Indianapolis Public Schools
- Jerome Flewelling, Crown Point Community School Corp.
- Kristin Baker, Elkhart Community Schools
- Heidi Hisrich, Richmond Community Schools
- Amanda Graham-Bishop, Community Schools of Frankfort
- Dan Baker Huntington, County Community School Corp.
- Kathleen Sarles, Franklin Community
- Lena Darnay, MSD of Pike Township
For more information, go to www.doe.in.gov/toy.