A new standing committee was approved by the City-County Council Monday night. The new Environmental Sustainability Committee will meet regularly to discuss moves to improve environmental issues in Indianapolis.
A commission spent last year studying city challenges including the lack of a robust recycling program and environmental justice. It recommended the creation of the dedicated committee to offer solutions and provide a public forum to discuss environmental work.
Republican members voted against creating the committee saying it was unnecessary and redundant.
Councilor John Barth (D) chaired the commission and in a written comment said Indianapolis needs to be prepared for climate changes.
“The Council needs to evaluate and pass proposals to ensure that Indianapolis is taking actions to reduce our carbon footprint and is preparing for the changes that are already happening,” Barth said.
Councillor Michael Paul Hart (R) said the committee was unlikely to offer solutions.
“An echo chamber that dismisses opinions that are different,” Hart said.
The Indianapolis City-County Council voted 19-6 in favor of the new committee.
August 10, 2021
New Environmental Committee Adopted For Council
Support independent journalism today. You rely on WFYI to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Donate to power our nonprofit reporting today. Give now.
Related News
Local News / February 16, 2026
Presidents' Day protest at ICE office in Indianapolis
Dozens of people gathered in a parking lot across the street Monday afternoon with signs to oppose President Donald Trump and his administration’s immigration enforcement.
Read MoreLocal News / February 16, 2026
Judge rules against government in transfer of Terre Haute prisoners
A federal judge in Washington, D.C., is blocking the Trump administration from transferring prisoners on federal death row in Indiana to a more restrictive facility in Colorado, ruling the move would likely violate the prisoners' due process rights.
Read MoreLocal News / February 14, 2026
Armed group protests Trump administration's comments on Alex Pretti and gun rights
A group of armed protesters peacefully marched and protested in downtown Indianapolis Saturday to protest what they call an attack on Second Amendment rights from the Trump administration.
Read More
DONATE







Support WFYI. We can't do it without you.