NewsPublic Affairs / November 1, 2017

The Latest: Two Officers To Face Police Board Over Shooting

A special prosecutor says there was not enough evidence to refute the officers' claim of self defense.IMPD, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, police shooting, Aaron Bailey2017-11-01T00:00:00-04:00

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Latest on the fatal shooting of an unarmed black motorist by Indianapolis police officers (all times local):

November 1

10:40 a.m.

Indianapolis' police chief says two officers who fatally shot an unarmed black motorist could appear before the department's firearms review board later this week.

Chief Bryan Roach said during a Wednesday news conference that the board will meet Friday to begin assessing whether officers Michal Dinnsen and Carlton Howard followed department policies in the June death of 45-year-old Aaron Bailey.

A special prosecutor announced Tuesday that the officers wouldn't face criminal charges in the shooting. Authorities say Bailey pulled over for a traffic stop on June 29, but suddenly drove off and later crashed. The officers approached Bailey's vehicle and fired.

Roach said Wednesday that the officers will remain on administrative duties until he receives the board's recommendation and decides whether they'll face disciplinary action.

8:55 a.m.

The Indianapolis police chief plans to discuss a prosecutor's decision not to charge two officers who fatally shot an unarmed black motorist after he fled a traffic stop.

Chief Bryan Roach scheduled a news conference for Wednesday, a day after the special prosecutor announced no charges would be filed against officers Michal Dinnsen and Carlton Howard in the June death of 45-year-old Aaron Bailey.

Roach will also address the internal review his department is conducting of the officers' actions.

Authorities say Bailey was pulled over on June 29, but suddenly drove off and later crashed. The officers approached Bailey's vehicle and fired.

In declining to file charges, St. Joseph Prosecutor Kenneth Cotter said the officers told investigators they acted in self-defense because they feared Bailey was reaching for a gun.

October 31

4:30 p.m.

The FBI says it is continuing its civil rights investigation of the fatal shooting of an unarmed black motorist by two Indianapolis police officers.

Indianapolis FBI special agent in charge Jay Abbott says the agency is working with Justice Department officials to determine whether the federal civil rights of 45-year-old Aaron Bailey were violated when he was killed on June 29.

Abbott's statement comes after a special prosecutor announced Tuesday that officers Michal Dinnsen and Carlton Howard won't face criminal charges for the shooting. Special prosecutor Kenneth Cotter says he found insufficient evidence to refute the officers' claims of self-defense.

Authorities say Bailey crashed into a fence and tree after fleeing from a traffic stop. Dinnsen and Howard then approached the vehicle and fired.

Bailey's family has sued the city, alleging excessive force.

___

3:50 p.m.

A prosecutor is citing the claims of self-defense by two Indianapolis police officers for his decision to not file criminal charges against them in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black motorist.

Special prosecutor Kenneth Cotter says he found insufficient evidence to refute the officers' claims that they feared imminent injury or death when they shot 45-year-old Aaron Bailey on June 29.

Authorities say Bailey had been pulled over for a traffic stop on June 29 when he suddenly drove off. After a short chase, Bailey crashed into a fence and tree. Officers Michal Dinnsen and Carlton Howard then approached the vehicle and fired.

Bailey's family has sued the city, alleging excessive force. The lawsuit states the officers fired at least 11 shots at Bailey and four bullets struck him in the back.

___

3:30 p.m.

Two Indianapolis police officers won't face criminal charges for the June shooting death of an unarmed black motorist.

The decision announced Tuesday by a special prosecutor comes after the family of 45-year-old Aaron Bailey sued the city in September, alleging excessive force.

Authorities say Bailey had been pulled over for a traffic stop on June 29 when he suddenly drove off. After a short chase, Bailey crashed into a fence and tree. Officers Michal Dinnsen and Carlton Howard then approached the vehicle and fired.

The lawsuit states the officers fired at least 11 shots at Bailey and four bullets struck him in the back.

Police said no gun was found at the scene, but they have provided no details on what prompted the officers to shoot.


Original Post

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Two Indianapolis police officers won't face criminal charges for the June shooting death of an unarmed black motorist.

The decision announced Tuesday by a special prosecutor comes after the family of 45-year-old Aaron Bailey sued the city in September, alleging excessive force.

Authorities say Bailey had been pulled over for a traffic stop on June 29 when he suddenly drove off. After a short chase, Bailey crashed into a fence and tree. Officers Carlton Howard and Michael Dinnsen approached the vehicle after the crash, and then fired.

In his report, Special Prosecutor Kenneth P. Cotter of St. Joseph County concluded "there is insufficient evidence to refute either the officers' claim of subjective fear or the objective reasonableness of that fear." 

 

 

Related News

IPL Looked Up The Bills Of Opponents To Latest Rate Case
Indiana Planned Parenthood Location Closes After Harassment
Bloomington Considers Shared Streets, Converting One-Way Roads Under Transportation Plan